6.23.2015

White Balsamic Citrus Basil Chicken with Grilled Asparagus & Red Potato Kebabs

Last summer I was shopping at Costco & came across a dressing/marinade that intrigued me; White Balsamic Citrus Basil. It sounded like my favorite flavors in a bottle! I love anything balsamic & white balsamic vinegar is a little lighter. Basil is hands down my favorite herb (with cilantro being a close second) & citrus always adds a fresh kick to a meal. I left with one bottle, and after drizzling it over salads & marinating chicken in it, I was hooked!

Sadly, when I went back, Costco was out of stock with no shipments in the foreseeable future. That's the only downside to Costco & the fact that it's like a giant Target. You go in for dressing & come home with $150 of food you had to have because the sample was so good! I searched on Amazon (those of you with Prime know what I'm talking about!) & did a general Google search with no results.

This Spring Costco decided to carry it again (yay!), so I bought a couple bottles. Well, it wasn't until I was on the 21 Day Fix did I realize that cane sugar syrup is the second ingredient. Eeek! I knew I had to replicate my own version of this dressing. So after a little time in the kitchen playing scientist, I came up with a recipe that my husband agrees is similar (if not better, he says) than the original.


Recipe

Serves 4

Chicken:
  • 1 pound Chicken Breasts, cut thin
  • 3/4 cup Water
  • 1 Tbsp Dried Basil
  • 2 tsp Avocado Oil
  • 1 tsp Olive Oil
  • 1/4 cup White Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1/4 cup Lemon Juice
  • 1 Tbsp Honey
  • 1/8 tsp Sea Salt
  • 1 large Shallot, chopped
  • 1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
Asparagus & Red Potatoes:

  • 16 Baby Red Potatoes, halved
  • 40 Asparagus Stalks, rinsed & cut into 2" pieces
  • Olive Oil
  • Salt & Pepper

Directions
  • Combine all ingredients, except chicken breast, in a bowl & whisk well until the honey is dissolved.
  • Place chicken in a zip top bag & add marinade. Seal bag & refrigerate overnight, or for at least 6 hours.
  • Soak bamboo skewers in water for 20 minutes. Skewer the red potato halves & microwave for 4 minutes. Flip & microwave for another 4 minutes. Drizzle with olive oil & season with salt & pepper.
  • Fire up the grill to medium-high heat. Place chicken on grill & cook for 6 minutes. Flip & continue to grill for 5 more minutes.  
  • At the same time place asparagus pieces in a grill basket, drizzle with olive oil & season with salt & pepper. Grill the potato kebabs for a few minutes and flip. Continue grilling for 3 or 4 more minutes. The chicken & vegetables should all be done at the same time.
  • Remove from grill & serve.
  • Enjoy!
21DF: 1 Red, 1 Green, 1 Yellow, 1 Orange & 1 teaspoon 

1 comment:

  1. I am always looking for new ways to make chicken, and this looks like a winner!

    ReplyDelete