6.26.2015

Surviving the Weekends on the Fix

I know I'm not the only one who travels a lot during the summer. Being a Michigan girl, I have to enjoy the nice weather on one of our state's many lakes while I can... before the fridgid temps & snow rear their ugly heads again.  Like I said before, both mine & my husband's families have cottages in two separate beach towns, so we visit quite often. I've been fortunate to have family who also loves eating in-season produce & healthy meals, but there are always temptations! We'll be spending the weekend in Pentwater, so I'm going to share some tips about how I plan to stay on track & motivated.

BYOF
(bring your own food)

Ok, call me a control freak, but really I'm just contributing, because the other 2 weekends we've stayed at the cottage it was last minute & we mooched food off the in-laws. I offered to bring all of the dinners for this weekend to take the load off of other family & make sure I'm eating on par!

Sticking with my Menu Monday plan, we will eat Grilled Flatbread Pizzas with Cauliflower "Breadsticks" (& some regular breadsticks for everyone else!) & Grilled Brussels Sprouts on Friday & on Saturday we'll have Grilled Venison & Sweet Potato Sliders with a Tossed Salad & Fresh Fruit.

I also planned my lunches & made a breakfast casserole in advance for myself & everyone else to start our days. I brought my Shakeology for after my workouts & extra produce for snacks.


Print Your Workouts
(& give credit to the fun exercise)

Since there is no TV at the cottage & my new computer doesn't have a CD drive, I decided to print my workout & do it outside. Thankfully I can sneak away to the backyard while I do the Dirty 30. I'll save Yoga Fix for when I get home on Sunday night.  I packed my mat & my weights & plan to enjoy nature while I pump some iron. ;)

Occasionally we'll take walks down to the pier & back, which is about 1.5 miles round-trip. Also, our boys are really loving kayak rides this year & guess who gets to paddle? You got it -- the big kids! It's a great arm & core workout, especially when you're going against the wind. Swimming burns a few calories, too & once the lake warms up later in the summer we'll be tubing behind the boat. Last year was my older son's first time & since my husband is allergic water (true story) I was the one to hover above him for 20 minutes while we bounced on the waves. Fun times, but I don't think I could wash my hair without tipping my head upside down for a week!



Include Treats & Wine

Since I knew everyone else would be enjoying a few cocktails by the pool, on the boat & by the fire, I saved some yellows & purples to indulge in a little Skinny Sangria!



Check out my bonus Shakeo Saturday post tomorrow. It features a recipe I promised on Monday. I'll be back on Monday to share next week's menu!


I hope these tips help! Have a great weekend & remember, you can still have fun & stay on track!

No comments:

Post a Comment