7.10.2015

Chicken & Veggie Marinara Casserole with Whole Wheat Orzo

So, it's Friday & I haven't posted a single recipe from this week's menu. Monday we ended up spending the day at my in-laws cottage on what was supposed to be the hottest day yet this summer. It only ended up being in the high 70's, but the pool still felt great & of course the boys had fun. We stayed there through dinner & I noshed on grilled chicken, peas & carrots & grilled peaches with blueberries. Not exactly what I had planned to cook at home, but the time spent with grandparents was worth it!

My husband was out of town from Monday until midnight Tuesday & frankly I didn't have the energy left in me to make dinner after a long weekend, a long Monday & swim lessons after dinner Tuesday. We ended up picking up a yummy salad for me & a chicken quesadilla for the boys from a local restaurant. You do watchya gotta do sometimes!

I did actually make the turkey burgers last night, but they weren't as good as I hoped & I don't believe I should share a so-so recipe here. I'll keep searching for a tastier recipe.

Now last night's dinner was delicious! I can't wait until we have an over-abundance of zucchini & yellow squash in our garden, because I'll definitely make this again. It's super simple, full of vegetables & I bet it could be prepped in the morning, other than pour on the the sauce & sprinkling on the cheese.

Recipe

Serves 6


  • 2 1/2 cups Chicken, cooked & diced
  • 1 Zucchini, diced
  • 1 Yellow Squash, diced
  • 1 - 12 oz. can Tomato Sauce
  • 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
  • 1 tsp Dried Oregano
  • 1 tsp Dried Basil
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350*.
  • Layer the chicken in the bottom of a casserole dish. Next, pour in zucchini & yellow squash.
  • Pour the tomato sauce & top with cheese.
  • Sprinkle on the oregano & basil.
  • Bake 25-30 minutes until the cheese is golden.
  • Meanwhile, cook orzo according to package.
  • Serve casserole on top of orzo & enjoy!
21DF: 1 Red, 1-1/2 Green, 1/2 Blue, 1 Yellow

No comments:

Post a Comment