2.05.2017

No-Bake Energy Balls


A couple of weeks ago I attended a presentation at our boys' school discussing healthier nutrition options for our children. The presenter focused on misleading marketing schemes that make us believe some products are actually healthy. It was interesting to hear what the speaker had to say & it was reassuring to know that we're on the right path. When you know better, you do better. But don't get me wrong, I fall back into the trap of unhealthy cereals & snacks every now & then. The ease of those products is undeniable.

If I haven't mentioned it before, food & nutrition fascinate me! I regularly research different foods & recipes, vitamins & minerals we are lacking & how to incorporate healthy meals & snacks into our daily lives in tasty & interesting ways. I always like packing a "sweet" in my son's lunch, but I know that refined sugar can cause a slew of health & behavior problems, so I've been trying hard to limit it.


When I was little, we had a cookbook full of recipes that kids could make on their own. One recipe was similar to these energy balls I love to have on hand, but they didn't include the seeds. With the addition of the ground flax seed, chia seeds & hemp hearts this recipe boasts a healthy dose of iron, magnesium, calcium, Omega-3, fiber, antioxidants & protein. And they're delicious. I bet you can't eat just one. 😉


This recipe is as simple as measure & mix. It's a great one to get the kiddos involved in! after you mix all of your ingredients together, roll them into balls & place them on a baking sheet. Once their all rolled into balls, freeze for about an hour.


You can either store these in the refrigerator if you're going to eat them within a week, or freeze them to last longer. It'd be wise to make a double or triple batch & freeze some. 😋

The recipe below calls for 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, but feel free to substitute or add 1/4 cup mini m&m's, toffee bits, any other flavor of baking chips, or dried fruits. My boys like the m&m's for color (I know, I know... the dyes...) but I made a batch with 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips & 1/4 cup toffee bits & it was amazing! Let me know how you change it up!


Recipe

Makes 18 balls

1 cup Rolled Oats
2/3 cup Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
1/2 cup Grond Flaxseed
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (I like Enjoy Life)
1 Tbsp Chia Seeds
1 Tbsp Hemp Hearts
1/2 cup Natural Peanut Butter (no added sugar)
1/3 cup Raw Honey (Local, if possible)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract

Directions

  • Mix all ingredients together & mix into 1" diameter balls.
  • Place on a cookie sheet & freeze for 30 - 60 minutes.
  • Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
  • Enjoy!
21DF: 2 = 1 Yellow



No comments:

Post a Comment