1.28.2015

Open-Faced Ham & Egg Sandwich

A few years ago, my mom, husband & I decided to venture into the world of "Backyard Chickens". Well, not so much backyard, since combined we have over 7 acres in the city (my mom lives in our backyard), but none the less, we do not have a chicken farm. We started with a dozen chicks since we were told that some may not make it past the teenager stage (rebels). We did lose one chicken early on, but we also experienced something we were not expecting... 2 of our chicks "turned into" ROOSTERS!

Now this is particularly saddening for me, because my chicken, a Golden Wyandotte, who I respectively named Goldie Hen (harhar!) was one of the roosters. Lucky for them, one of my husband's co-worker's sons was starting a chicken farm. So after many *hilarious* attempts to lure these cocky & noisy roosters into a cat carrier, they were safely taken to their new home where I'm sure they have produced a fine brood of chicks!

We only have 2 left from the original dozen & we added 6 more chicks 2 years ago, we lost 1 from this batch, leaving us with 7 hens total. They are free-range (just ask the neighbors...), and eat lots of yummy food, which we believe is what makes their eggs taste so good.

So why did I tell you all of this? Well, on a good day we'll get an egg from each hen, and typically at least 5 a day. We love to eat LOTS of fresh eggs! Which leads me to this simple recipe:


Recipe

Serves 1
  • 1 slice Ezekiel Bread, Toasted
  • 1 Farm Fresh Egg
  • 3 slices Nitrate-Free Ham
Directions
  • While your bread is toasting, spray pan with cooking spray & fry your egg on half of the pan for a few minutes, depending on your yolk preference.
  • Add the slices of ham to the other half of the pan to warm & brown slightly.
  • Place the ham on top of the toast & the egg on top of the ham.
  • Enjoy!


And I'll leave you with this handsome fella...

21DF - 1 Yellow, 1 Red.

No comments:

Post a Comment