2.11.2015

Maple Butternut Squash Soup

One of our most frequented restaurants is Panera, because I feel they have fresh & healthy options available for our whole family, although the mac & cheese is a favorite among the littles. This fall they offered a delicious butternut squash bisque that I loved & I knew I could make a lightened up version at home. In about 15 minutes, I had this:


Whenever it's available, I order an organic butternut squash through my local delivery service, Doorganics (post coming soon). They last quite a while in the fridge & when I have a craving for some warm soup on a cold day, this is my favorite lunch!

Recipe:

Serves 4 (1 cup / serving)
  • 2 teaspoons Coconut Oil
  • 1 medium Onion, chopped
  • 1 small Butternut Squash, peeled & cubed
  • 2 cups Organic Chicken Stock (or Vegetable Stock for vegetarian)
  • 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
  • 10 Pecan Halves, chopped
  • Maple Syrup
Directions:
  • In a medium pot, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add onions & saute until onions are translucent.
  • Add butternut squash, broth, cinnamon, nutmeg & salt.
  • Bring the pot to a boil and allow squash to cook until fork tender; about 10 minutes.
  • Once squash is cooked, pour contents from pot into a blender or food processor & puree until smooth. 
  • Pour soup into bowls, add a swirl of maple syrup & top with chopped pecans.
  • Enjoy!


21DF: 1 Green, 1/2 Teaspoon & 1/4 Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment